Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Carly's Café - Experience Autism Through Carly's Eyes




Since when did I have an obsession over autism. The correct term, "ASD" (Autism Spectrum Disorder) should be used, but for the sake of writing and time, and as everyone refers to it, it's just autism for me.

I don't remember my first encounter with the term. Probably something on TV.

Ah. I remember. A movie. With my dad. Or rather, one of my dad's weekend movies which I happened to catch. Something about mercury. Mercury Rising. With Bruce Willis. And an autistic kid whose name I'm sorry I will never be able to remember. Really fascinating plot. Top secret NSA stuff. And somehow the kid solves it. Or knows about it. One way or the other, I remember clearly for aaaages after watching the movie I was engrossed with the minute details of his speech and actions. Everything he did in the movie. Though of course this must have been at least a good 5 years ago so no more recollection, apart from Autism.

It still remains as much a mystery to me as it is to the world. Especially the world of science and medicine. If possible I wish to make it one of my life goals to study it, understand it, reach out to autistic kids. Just what is happening. Why are they trapped. How we can burst the bubble and break through to their intelligence. Because as you may have heard, autistic kids are often the brightest, just that they have problems expressing themselves.

By no means am I comparing autistic kids with myself LOL. Though I have trouble expressing myself at times ...

Anyway. Loved this short clip. Really says a lot. Don't judge a book by its cover. And every story has 2 sides.

Much respect. My heart goes out to all autistic peeps.

Oh and did you know, they recently found that not only kids can have autism, but adults too. Scary, huh?
It's kinda like. Late onset. Like MODY (mature onset of diabetes in the young) or type 1.5 diabetes aka. LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes in adults).

Ah. sorry for bombarding you with details of my study. Exams just around the corner and it's being a pain in the ass. Either I can't remember it. Or I only remember a few things and it nags at me begging for attention so I can't digest other information.

Anyway, autism. You guys really got a lot of guts to be able to bear with ignorant people who don't understand you! I don't mean to say I understand you guys a lot either ... but I really feel for you peeps. Just be yourself. Hold your head high cos you guys are amazing. Just wanna let u know! If any of you guys ever read this haha. :')

-peace out-

No comments:

Post a Comment