Friday, January 23, 2015

Hockey #5

20150123 2600

National squad training tonight.

I bailed on Monday training, partly due to fear, partly due to period pain. The period pain was probably exacerbated by the fear.

I bailed again on Thursday training, due to basketball and choir. Again and again I need to remind myself of my promise - I will never let anything compromise my music. It's true, I place music on top of sports, and especially choir.

So Friday training was my first and only training this week... I knew that the others might hate me for it, I suppose they all did some fitness training on Monday or Thursday, and that by Friday Coach (Arif) would already realise the squad was drained and would not make us run again.

My guess was correct.

Yet I was still struggling to keep up and very much out of breath by the last training drill towards the end of training.

I have a long long looooong way to go.

But I was quite glad I went today.

Albeit being late by 20 mins due to having a rest after Paedi bedside teaching, then catching the 970 late (no 970x...) and traffic in Austin & Jordan.

It was much happier today, only one thought on my mind: if Coach has no problem with your poor commitment, then I will go for training's sake. Just here to stick to the shadows and learn from the Greats and stay humble. Don't offend anyone or get in anyone's way and you'll be fine.

And with that, one simple thought, no fear, no worries, no burden... it all became easy. Just be yourself. Just play hockey. Just do it. What you do best. It's what made the training so much more bearable and enjoyable and fresh. You come to training, you only got one goal and only one thing should be in your mind: to get better. This is what young Logan taught me, from Masterchef Junior Season 2. To get better. Good, better, best - never let it rest.

Just work it. Sweat, and determination, and willpower, and a fighting spirit. To beat myself. To overcome my challenges every time I'm on the pitch.

Will play in Shaheen B's league match tomorrow evening against LHT A. Let's see what we can make out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment