Saturday, April 19, 2014

George Enescu - Romanian Rhapsody N° 1 Op 11 (Celibidache)



Celibidache - (one of) Coach's favourite conductor(s).

Before he mentioned it to me a couple days ago, I'd never even heard of him. And that first instant I bumped into his vid - Pictures at an Exhibition (does Coach think I still have an obsession over it though maybe yes i do) - wasn't exactly my greatest impression of the great Maestro that I have come to realise now.

And pretty much spent the whole of yesterday afternoon watching Celibidache. His documentary - "You don't do anything, you let it evolve" - really is fascinating indeed. Though a huge shame that the guy who uploaded it has only provided eng subs for the first half ... the other half is in italian subs only -cry-!!! T_T

And after watching so much Celibidache ... I can't say I really like him all that much, but he has that wow factor that's like a magnet pulling me closer to delving deeper into his world. And what a world it is. Just like so many other things in life, I have the utmost respect and admiration for this great man, though I feel like I would not get along with him. I'd cave in to his criticisms and imposing and bold personality hahah~

In fact, I see a bit of him within Coach. (oh gosh if you ever read this ... don't comment.) the first impression comes from a clip in-rehearsal - when he barks at the pianist "tempo!! what's the matter with you?" xD

One thing is without doubt: Celibidache is an incredible teacher. I learnt so much just from watching his documentary!!! Though I don't agree with everything he says (only natural i think... or else i'd just be like a guard dog or yes-man), and there are some things in the documentary he said which I don't understand ... but I'm so glad Coach introduced me to his vids. Actually I stumbled upon his documentary a little by accident. A day or two I saw Coach post a Fb status, and even changed his Ig status to "You don't do anything, you let it evolve" ... and did not have a blinking clue as to what he was on about. Then yesterday as I watched more Celibidache, it suddenly appeared.

Somehow I feel a bit like I've intruded on Coach's privacy and his "space".

--

Anyway. back to Enescu's Romanian Rhapsody (which he composed at 19!!!). *v* Played this with YSO a couple years back and had a blast, one of those pieces that really stuck in my mind and I'd instantly be able to play the whole thing through if you gave me the cello score xD

It's such a fun piece! And "fun" is exactly what Celibidache gave in this vid. Such charisma! Such life he breathed into it! Shake of the hips here, twitch of the fingers there, stroke of the hair (such flamboyance... though I can't deny it doesnt suit him or that I don't like it, lol~) ... I had so much fun just watching him conduct. His facial expressions are priceless.

"Experience". Not just understand. - what Celibidache emphasised in the documentary. And again another reference to Coach - "music is not a bunch of cues". In Celibidache's direct words - "music is not just notes or intonation."

He also said, "you cannot define music". But, when you hear it, you will be able to say "that is music". Simply, "that's it". Not "that's beautiful, wonderful ...", but ... as direct as can possibly be, "that's it"!

And "he (his student) must find the reality behind the notes on his own. Reality that can't be interpreted". For it is not Celibidache's interpretation. Celibidache didn't write it. For the composer started with the experience and came to find the notes, whereas we start with the notes and come to find the experience. Wow. that really struck me hard. Just reading it, makes perfect sense. Of course. But when you think deeper ... really gives you a reality check. Perhaps that's what makes him so legendary.

And whilst I toil through my study, I shall engrave Celibidache's words into the back of my mind - find the reality that can't be interpreted. There is beauty within the music, and I will come to find that beneath beauty there lies truth.

Thank you Coach, thank you Celibidache~!

No comments:

Post a Comment